Saturdays in France
Markets, Charity Shopping at Emmeaus & Toiles de Mayenne clearance room
This is a day we know well and one very much a part of a typical Saturday out and about in the Mayenne Department.
- Laval Markets - We head into our Department Capital Laval to the medieval heart of the high old town for the fantastic Food markets that sells everything wonderful to eat and a lot more. We will wander the food stalls from the artisan producers and growers of the region, stop for coffee or wine & oysters of you wish and blend in with the locals enjoying a very social day out.
- Walk the Old Town- we will take a wander through the old town half-timbered merchant houses in the medieval streets adjacent to the markets.
- River side Lunch - We recommend a lunch down by the river with great views of the Laval medieval & renaissance chateaux.
- Time for High Street shopping if you wish
- After 2pm we head to the edge of town to Emmaus the Catholic charity that runs the main charity shops in France. Not shops as such but large warehouses full to the rafters of everything you could ever imagine, from books, china, kitchen accessories, clothes, bed & table linens & haberdashery, toys, furniture & bric-a-brac. We never leave empty handed & prices start at just €1.
- Fontaine Daniel- We drive back toward Mayenne, and head for cool tranquil respite to the beauitfil village of Fontaine Daniel home to Toiles de Mayenne; specialist luxuary Furnishing Texiles manufacture since 1806. We will visit the sale room for a barign off cuts and fabric line ends, curatins, tassels & braid & bits & pieces. Then a short 300m drive out of the forest to the beauiful village for afternoon tea. Around the village green are the lake, Fountian, remains of the once vast 11thc Monastry, and 19c stone Factory of Toiles de Mayenne.
Meals & drinks not included in the price
Saturday in Laval- Market & Charity Shop