Brilliant Package Deal Tour 10 rarely visited sites
Developed specially for the interests of Wargamers and those with a deep interest in Military History and reconnaissance investigation of military conflict.
100 YEARS WAR - Military History Immersion Tour & Wargaming
- 5 nights B&B accompaning partners stay free
- Room upgrades if available
- 3 Days Private Day Tours across key sites of Western France 1 person
- Visit 10 rarely toured sites across the Mayenne region
- 1 Day Wargaming at L'Hotel de Hercé 1 person
- Complimentary evening drinks
The 100 Years War decimated France between 1337 & 1453, as French & English claimants to French Crown fought to establish their right to legitimate succession. They sought dominance through control of land & forced allegiance of the Castilians of the fortified Chateaus. Allegiances demanded through costly sieges & occasional pitch fighting on the battlefield.
The region of Maine (today Mayenne) was predominantly allied to the French crown & was hotly contested by the English. English control had continued to expanded over time, and Mayenne was the gateway between their lands in Normandy and Aquitaine. The battle for control of Maine had three phases of intensity. The Breton War of Succession is opening phase, splitting allegiances in the region.
The second stage was defined the total war of Earl of Buckingham’s chevauchee through Maine.
The third stage is the French reconquest and Joan of Arc the most famous militant of this period.
Several Chateaux subject to these dramatic sieges survive today on our doorstep. Saint Suzanne, Chateau Lassay, Chateau Laval, Chateau Mayenne, Chateau Vitré in Brittany allied to Maine. Some of the most famous French lords of the 100 Years War had their birthplace in Maine, two marshals of France and two companions of the Joan de Arc.
- We begin our tour at Chateau Laval home of the Counts of Laval, the Montmorency-Montfort-Laval-family. This family is heavily involved in the shaping of Brittany and Western France for generations up until the French Revolution.
- Battlefield tour of La Brossinière, the first complete French victory in the west, where the future Marshal of France André de Laval-Montmorency (Lohéac) is knighted.
- Chateau Vitré, the border fortress of Brittany and Maine, controlled by the Lords of Laval, a fairy-tale chateau and medieval town. Lunch in a local café, then tour the city and chateau.
- Return to Mayenne to Wargame
We play using superbly painted miniatures specific to the 100 years war, on a table terrain exactly as the field of battle in the 18th Century "Salon de Guerre" at L’Hotel de Hercé. The battle of la Brossinière.
Pre dinner drinks, before heading out for dinner at 7:30pm
Battle of Baugé - Greatest French victory of 100 Years War
- We begin our day with a drive to Vieil-Baugé,
- We walk the church, bridge, water mills and battlefield
- followed by lunch in Baugé, then a visit to Baugé-en-Anjou Chateau museum
- returning via Chateau Durtal to view the impressive chateau on the river.
We play using superbly painted miniatures specific to the late 100 years war, on a table terrain exactly as the field of battle in the 18th Century "Salon de Guerre" at L’Hotel de Hercé. Battle of Baugé or Pontvallain /Vass
Group dinner out on the River Mayenne at Beau Rivage (price not included)
100 Years’ War Chateaus of Maine or Wargame option.
Whirlwind Tour of the key 100 years’ War Chateaus in the region.
Mayenne , Ambrières-les-Vallées, Bois-Thibault, Château de Lassay , Saint Suzanne – Sillé-le-Guillaume.
Price does not include lunch or dinners or site entrance fees
100 Years War in Maine
Bring you partner for free they will enjoy staying at beautiful l'Hotel de Hercé, the historic town centre location is an easy walk to Chateau & Museum, cafes,great shopping, movies, beauty services. L'Hotel de Hercé salons & gardens are open for guest enjoyment & quiet relaxation.
Partners are welcome to join the Guided Tours please email us for prices.